12/12/10 – Home-made Pizza
After 6-months of cooking Papa Murphy’s pizzas on the MAK and seeing how great they came out, I figured it was time to dust-off the pizza pans, and take a crack at home-made. I haven’t done a from-scratch pizza in a long time (read, before kids).
I decided to do one thin-crust style, and one deep dish.
- For the thin crust pizza it was predominantly pepperoni and mozzarella with the exception of 1/4 which had no pepperoni, and had mushrooms, artichoke hearts, and just a little Italian sausage.
- For the deep-dish, I went with pepperoni, Italian sausage, and green peppers.
The crust on the deep-dish came out perfect. The thin crust was still a bit soggy. It would have been much better cooked on a pizza stone (on my Christmas list!).
The sauce was Italian-style stewed tomatoes, tomato paste, 1/4 onion minced, three cloves of garlic, some fresh basil and a littel dried Italian seasoning. Simmered the sauce for a couple hours then a couple seconds in teh blender to get the chunks out (for the kids’ sake).
- 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 2 1/2 cups warm water (110 degrees F)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 5 1/2 cups bread flour