June 14, 2014
I decided to “pit” these two smokers against one another.
All cooking times, techniques, rubs and sauces were identical.
The MAK ribs had the best smoke ring by a mile. I liked the smoke flavor on the drum ribs, not nearly as heavy as I expected. Both pits performed well, and couldn’t find a fault with any of the ribs. Tender, juicy, and flavorful.
- Removed Silverskin
- Coated with mustard
- Applied Simply Marvelous “Sweet & Spicy” rub as base
- Applied Big Poppa Smokers “Sweet Money” as top coat
- Put on smokers @ 250 degrees – Bear Mountain Apple/Hickory pellets mixed on
MAK, Apple and Hickory chunks on Drum.
- At about 2 hours 20 minutes, added apple juice, honey, agave nectar, and some hot sauce –
foiled, and raised pit temp to 275.
- At about 2 hours removed from foil, increased pit temp and sauced.
- Removed when sauce was set
Drum on the left, MAK on the right.